Header

Header
1983 Porsche 911 SC Targa

Friday, January 13, 2012

Keys, Locks, and Doors





For Christmas I received a Bentley repair manual. Perfect. This will come in handy.

To replace the worn out duplicate keys that came when I purchased the car, I ordered a couple of factory key blanks from Pelican Parts. At $58 each they are pricey, but a lot cheaper than getting them done at the dealer. They look great. A local locksmith was able to read the key code from my worn key, to make a proper cut instead of just making a copy of a worn out key. They also re-pinned the locks in the door handle to match the ignition switch. I am down to one key for operating all of the locks on the Porsche.
 





The new Porsche key blank looks good.  The difference between the worn out and newly cut key is dramatic.


The interior door trim and panels had to come apart to remove the door locks for the locksmith. As long as I’m in there, I might as well fix a few problems. The stock interior door handles are shockingly thin and flimsy plastic. I’m amazed they managed to last 30 years. I’m replacing them with black anodized aluminum handles.

After market anodized aluminium interior handles on the left.
Flimsy plastic stock door handles on the right.

The door panels have damage from what appears to be an old speaker installation. I can only get affordable replacement panels in black, but much of the door trim, the dash, and rear deck are black. I think it looks good.

Original door panels.

Replacement door panels.

2 comments:

  1. If I were you, I would think about removing the shots of your keys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not the entire key, nor the real key pattern.

      Delete